Blog / LMP and QG
Thanks to an impending move (next week!), I've been thinking a lot about how I want to decorate our new space. Inspired by the purchase of a huge yellow lamp off of Craigslist, I decided to go for a yellow and gray color scheme in...
Each month, my friend Kait and I are making a project from the book, Last-Minute Patchwork and Quilted Gifts ("LMP+QG" for short). You can see previous projects here.
For the month of May, Kait and I decided to tackle the Summer Breeze quilt---just in time for summer picnics and trips to the beach.
The top came together quickly, though choosing fabrics was the hardest part and took the most time. I...
For this month's challenge, Kait and I made little elephants. While this project was a bit of a challenge for me (and some of the directions were a bit vague), I'm happy to report that Peanut turned out to be pretty darn cute.
For Peanut's body and ears, I used two fabrics from Heather Ross's latest line for Spoonflower, and I found a coordinating blue gingham in my stash for Peanut's blanket.
I especially love the little details, including the snout, felt eyes, and perle cotton tail.
See Kait's adorable elephant here.
Coming up next month: Summer Breeze quilt
So for the month of March, Kait and I decided to make the Pieced Pillows from LMP+QG. However, my husband and I already have a number of pillows around our house (see Exhibits A, B and C), so I decided to revise the plan slightly....
Each month, my friend Kait and I are making projects from the book, Last-Minute Patchwork and Quilted Gifts ("LMP+QG" for short). You can see previous projects here.
This month, Kait and I tackled the stacked coins quilt in LMP+QG. I've been trying to have these monthly challenges be an opportunity for me to both work from my stash, as well as try out new materials and techniques. In that spirit, I pulled out a fat quarter pack of Julia Rothman's Miscellany line for Cloud9 Fabrics, which I had been hoarding for months, and finally cut into it, and paired it with a linen-cotton blend (Robert Kaufman's Essex), a material I've loved the look of and have been wanting to try for ages.
For the back, I paired leftover coins with white from my stash:
I finished both the top and back for the quilt, though I haven't had a chance to put everything together quite yet. I must admit that while I'm happy with how the top turned out, I love the back more. I loved piecing all of the leftover coins into scrappy blocks---it's definitely a technique I'd like to try again.
See Kait's pretty blue version of the pattern here.
Coming up next month: Pieced Pillows