Blog / wall hanging
This mini quilt started out as a simple embroidered heart, which I stitched for a class that I taught a few years ago. While I often frame my finished embroidered pieces in either hoops or on stretcher bars, I wanted to take a different approach for this piece.
I pulled a number of solid pink and red fabric strips to coordinate with the monochromatic satin stitching I'd done to fill the heart....
For a dear friend's birthday this month, I stitched up a small wall quilt, using prints by Umbrella Prints from my fabric shop and some scraps of chambray.
Inspired by Betsy's honeycombs, I stitched up my own by hand, using an English paper-piecing technique.
I then machine-appliquéd the honeycombs to my quilt top and did echo quilting around the edges.
I stuck with my now-favorite rounded corners, and used up the rest of the binding I had made for this quilt. I used a coordinating vintage blue print for the backing, and I added both a label and a hanging sleeve.
I loved having the chance to work with these prints (they're among my favorites) and I'm happy to report that the birthday girl loved her gift.
I'm so excited to announce that after taking a bit of a break, I've reopened my Etsy shop! It's currently stocked with quilts and a few other goodies, most of which I've never actually blogged about here.
I also have lots of quilt tops in the queue (and a new studio space to work in!), and hope to finish them in the coming weeks. I hope you'll stop by the shop and take a look around!
English paper piecing has become my go-to project when I'm traveling, so after finishing my star blossoms quilt, I immediately switched over to a hexagon project I started ages ago, but had never finished. During plane rides this past fall to Salt Lake City for Sewing Summit and Houston for Quilt Market, I stitched away.
The main fabrics I used were hand-printed scraps by Sara Lee Parker, which I bought from her table at Crafty Bastards a few years ago. I paired her prints with an olive linen from my stash. I took an improv approach to the layout of the hexagons---I pulled basted hexagons from a pouch without looking, and stitched together whatever I pulled.
Once I'd stitched together all of the pieces I had, I decided to machine appliqué the entire shape to a rectangular scrap of muslin. I did echo quilting around the edges and then framed it all with a black binding.
I love how this piece turned out---and loved working with Sara's fabrics---and can't wait to hang it on my studio wall.