Custom cross-stitch buttons are back in the shop (I'm the proud new owner of my very own button maker!), and this past weekend, I worked on a custom order for an October wedding.
In place of boutonnieres, the groomsmen will wear buttons with the first initial of their last name, and the groom will wear a heart. I think it's such a cute idea, and one I wish we'd done for our wedding (these were the...
First of all, thank you to Rachel for featuring my wedding quilt on the Craft blog on Tuesday! I'm so flattered! Also, thank you to everyone for their lovely comments, and welcome new followers!
Since a lot of the projects that I've been working on and photographing this week are for swaps (and I don't want to spoil the surprise for my swap partners!), I thought that I'd share another wedding-related craft project with you.
While planning our wedding (aka reading an insane number of wedding blogs), I came across these button blossoms on Martha Stewart Weddings and immediately fell in love with them. I made boutonnieres inspired by Martha's project for my husband and our justice of the peace to wear at our wedding.
I used fabric-covered buttons (this was my first time working with them) and flowers made from ribbon as my "blooms." The leaves were made with fusible interfacing and scrap fabric.
Before our wedding last August, I collected fabric from some of our wedding guests. In the months leading up to the big day, I cut the fabric into isosceles triangles using pinking shears, and sewed the triangles together to create simple bunting to decorate our venue, the Richards Free Library in Newport, NH.
On the day of our wedding, we strung the bunting up in the library's ballroom, where we held our ceremony, and around the tables of pie and lasagna at our reception in the Library Arts Center.
After the wedding, I started work on a wedding quilt, made up of all of the triangles from the bunting. The quilt came together rather quickly (if you don't count the time I spent ripping out a few seams...), and is an eclectic mix of colors, thanks to the variety of fabric we received.
Being the first quilt I've ever done on my own, it has some wobbly and uneven seams, and is a slightly odd, longish shape, but I'm happy with how it turned out. It now resides in our living room and is a nice daily reminder of a memorable day.
As a small thank you to the many people who helped us at our August wedding (by organizing a Sunday brunch, making whoopie pies, and lending me a sewing machine while mine was in the shop), I made lots and lots of tissue holders, using this great tutorial by Skip to my Lou.
It was an excellent project because I was able to use up a lot of scrap fabric and experiment with pattern combinations. I used Japanese fabric for a few of them, but didn't have a chance to photograph those before giving them away.